06 January 2010

Happy Epiphany

or if you're Eastern Rite, Happy Theophany
or if you're on the Julian calendar, Merry Christmas
or if your bishop thinks Epiphany shouldn't be on a weekday, Happy Wednesday After Epiphany

I celebrated Epiphany twice this year, both times in the Roman Rite, and both times in my home diocese. On the 3rd I assisted at Sunday Epiphany Mass at my local parish, and today I assisted at an FSSP Epiphany Mass. FSSP is for Fraternitas Sacerdotalis Sancti Petri (Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter). If you want to know more about the FSSP, visit their website: http://fssp.org

Why do some Roman Catholics celebrate Epiphany on the Sunday between January 2nd and 8th, and some Roman Catholics celebrate Epiphany on the actual feast of Epiphany? I guess you'll have to ask the men who made this option available to Roman bishops in 1969.

What if they did the same thing for Christmas? Would more people come to Christmas Eve Mass if it were on the Saturday night between December 20th and 26th? Would Santa Clause know which house to go to on the Sunday and which house to go to on the 25th? What if the family isn't Catholic, or even Christian? Which day should Santa visit? What if a family does on Christmas what I did this Epiphany? Would Santa visit their house twice?

These are some deep theological questions that make my head hurt. I wonder if their heads hurt in 1969?