08 December 2010

John Lennon's imaginary world

When I was 14, I became a big John Lennon fan. I made a big deal out of the third anniversary of his death that year, and the years to come. By the time I became Catholic, I had some big problems with the lyrics of some of his songs; however, I couldn't help but have special attachment to December 8th. Fortunately, the Catholic Church provided me with a new attachment to this date: The Feast of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.


Fr. Raymond J. de Souza wrote a very good article on this the 30th anniversary of John Lennon's death in which he describes some major problems with one of John Lennon's most famous songs, Imagine. If you don't have any problems with this song, I invite you to read this article and possibly reassess your appreciation  of this anthem.

http://www.catholicregister.org/fr-raymond-de-souza/john-lennons-imaginary-world