07 March 2011

The Fathers Know Best

I've often wanted to read the Church Fathers. A couple of time I even attempted to read the three volumes by William A. Jurgens from cover to cover, but I never got far. Jurgens is a reference book and not meant to be read from cover to cover.

When I first heard about The Fathers Know Best by Jimmy Akin, I thought to myself, "That sounds like a nice book, but do I really need another reference book? I've got Jurgens on my bookshelf and the complete Nicene Fathers, Post-Nicene Fathers, and Ante-Nicene Fathers on my computer." So, I didn't buy it.



A while later, my fiancĂ©e had me order a couple CDs on Amazon, and I needed to spend a few more dollars to get  "FREE Super Saver Shipping." There wasn't really anything that I needed to buy, but The Fathers Know Best came to my mind. In a fit of impulse buying, I ordered it.

When it came in the mail, I started reading the Foreword and then the Introduction. I was hooked. The Fathers Know Best began to accompany me to Adoration everyday as my spiritual reading.

The Fathers Know Best is first and foremost another reference book, and it's laid out to quickly find the information you need. However, it's organized and condensed in a way that makes it possible to read from cover to cover. This was the book that I've been waiting years for. Now I know the Church Fathers as saints of the Church, and not simply as historical footnotes at the bottom of my writings.

If you're serious about understanding your faith, you need to read three things: the Holy Bible, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and the Church Fathers. Now that Mr. Akin has written and compiled his wonderful book, the Church Fathers are accessible to the average person. I highly recommend this book.