28 November 2011

How Was Mass Yesterday?

How was Mass yesterday? Did you remember to say, "And with your spirit"?

I said, "And with your spirit," but I didn't go to a Roman Mass. I went to a Byzantine Divine Liturgy.

Can you believe it? I've been waiting years for the new translation of the Roman Missal and the implementation of the new GIRM (unlike the in the U.S., Canadians just started using the new GIRM yesterday), and when it came, I missed it. I was also looking forward to using my booklet, but I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow's weekday Mass.

Why did I go to a Byzantine Divine Liturgy instead of a Roman Mass? I haven't been going to Sunday morning Mass the past few months because I've been attending a theology of the body course in a nearby city. Their Sunday morning Mass ends just before we start the TOB session. I just can't wake up early enough to make it to their Mass (I had to do this once, and it was murder), so I've been going to the vigil Mass Saturday evening at my parish.

I couldn't go to the vigil Mass at my parish last Saturday because I was at a powerlifting competition all day Saturday. I was thinking of going to the vigil Mass at my cathedral, but the powerlifting competition took longer than I thought it would.

It was my intention to go to the Sunday evening Mass at my cathedral, but I was invited to go to Divine Liturgy in order to meet someone. I was really torn as to what to do, and in the end, I decided to meet this person. As it turned out, this person didn't make it to Divine Liturgy, so I'll have to meet him another time.

Anyway, that's my story why I missed the first Mass following the new GIRM and using the new translation of the Roman Missal.