30 April 2012

I Don't Like Video Games

I've never been really big on video games. I haven't played very many video games, but I do admit that the video games I did play were a lot of fun. However, after playing them, I never felt that they added any value to my life. What I never understood was how anyone could keep plugging coins into those machines durning lunch hour when you could stand and watch the cool graphics for free while other people play (and pay).

Those graphics were cool, and  it was computer graphics that I played around with the most when I got my first computer (it was a TRS-80 CoCo with 16kb of RAM). I did write a few video games; although, they didn't move too smoothly as the graphics got more intense because I was using interpretive BASIC. I could have really used an assembler. Sadly, it wasn't until I went to college seven years later that I was introduce to the joys of assembly language. (I found hand assembly the funnest. Too bad I only had to do one assignment  assembling a program by hand.)

While in college, my attitude towards video games grew dimmer and dimmer. A few years after I graduated, I more or less decided that computers were for work. They were for helping calculate and organize information, and NOT for games.

What prompted such a decision? I witnessed more and more people wasting hours and hours on these games that added nothing to the quality of their lives. I decided these games were a curse on society.

Was I right? It seems that Elizabeth Woolley, founder of  Online Gamers Anonymous, would agree with me. Read this interview with her by Crusade Magazine, Parent’s Call of Duty: The Need for Parental Wisdom in Video Games.

I saw something sinister about video games three decades ago, even though half of that time I didn't yet formulate a personal ban against them. I've got enough problems, I'm glad computer games wasn't added to the list. However, for anyone that is spending too much time playing these games, there is help. Check out Online Gamers Anonymous.