01 March 2013

No Rum. Please!

Yesterday I had my first cancer therapy (antibody and chemo), which went very well. It only took 7 hours instead of 8 because they didn't have to stop it for side effects or reactions. It went so well that next time they're going to give the antibody to me faster. I wasn't even nauseous but was hungry afterwards.

My mom bought me some ginger-ale and other stuff for people who are nauseous. I asked her if she got any rum to go with it, otherwise I probably won't drink it. What I really wanted was one of those deluxe hamburgers from Burger Baron with everything.

I felt so good, I sang a little song:
Just a bag full of chemo makes the cancer go down,
The cancer go doooowwwn,
The cancer go down.
Just a bag full of chemo makes the cancer go down,
In the most delightful way.
Today, I woke up a half hour before my alarm was about to go off. I was excited for another couple of hours of chemo and whatever adventures were going to come my way today.

The guy sitting next to me while I had my treatment had a few interesting things to say. We have the same type of cancer and we're on the same type of chemo; however, he's on the standard antibody and I'm on the experimental one. He told me about chemo brain, which may make me even more entertaining than I already am (or more annoying depending on your perspective). He also told me he now has chest hair after a life of none. That might be interesting as my one chest hair fell out a number of years ago. I wonder if I'll grow another quarter inch and actually make it to 6 feet? It's been kind of tough having to admit, all these years, that I'm not quite 6 feet tall.

Well, I may just drink that ginger-ale after all... without the rum. Actually, I don't even want to think about rum right now, nor hamburgers. Oh, and as for adventures, every new smell seems to be one. It's a good thing I really like to learn new things, because I'm learn a few things I really had no clue about before. From what I remember before I had kids, I think I'd rather be very hung over. Even fighting a brush fire while hung over doesn't seem that bad. (Remember when grade campout was across the highway from my place?) It'll all make for a good story when it's all over. Actually, it's a pretty good story right now. I'd lol but I'm not sure how much fun that'll be. A 40 day fast in the desert sounds appealing to me right now (it is Lent after all).

I tried to take a nap, but all I did was lay there, which was nice. I did listen to a podcast from AirMaria.com while I was lying there, which was the homily below by Fr. Joachim. He explained quite nicely why I'm so joyful even though I having cancer.



“Fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum.”

“Quodcumque dixerit vobis, facite.”