25 October 2013

The Real Miss America

I’ve crawled from beneath my rock again, and it is quite amazing what’s going on in the world. It seems that a citizen of the United States of America with an Indian heritage has won the 2014 Miss America [Is it still called a beauty pageant?]. (I guess the Miss America doesn’t follow the Gregorian Calendar or the Julian Calendar. Seems they follow the Detroit Calendar. (Is Toyota (a city located in Aichi Prefecture, Japan) the New Detroit?) This does not surprise me at all since I’ve often thought that some of the most physically beautiful women in the world are from the asian subcontinent, closely followed by the women northwest of them.

I don’t know why I’ve thought this since I was not overly exposed to persons of such heritage before I was an adult (although I do remember a couple of very attractive girls with such heritage from high school (I was too shy to ever really talk to them.)), which is the usual reason of such an appreciation of beauty. Indian music, on the other hand, while I do find interesting (I’m thinking more of Ravi Shankar than Bollywood), has much less appeal to me when compared to European music. (I actually prefer Bollywood music to what's on most North American radio stations, which is why I don't listen to the radio (or watch T.V. (or come from under my rock much)), but this doesn't mean I appreciate it all that much.) However, I’m sure that would have been different if I had been exposed to much more Indian music. Now if we're talking about music from the Middle East, let's just say I have some albums of Soeur Marie Keyrouz and others. (Do you know that Christianity came from the Middle East?) Taste in food seems to be based on many other factors, so I’ll choose India and the Middle East... and the rest of the east for that matter, every chance I get.

(I would like to note that the most beautiful woman in the world, aside from the one mention towards the end of this post, has a mixture of Polish and Ukrainian heritage. I’m not saying this so as not to get into trouble. It’s as true as the consubstantiality of the Holy Trinity. (Are you aware if the intrinsic connection between marriage and the Trinity?))

While it doesn’t surprise me that a woman with such heritage won such an [I’m not sure what to call it], it does surprise me that a seemingly large number of persons (although I may have been deceived in the vastness of this ignorance) are ignorant of the vast difference of the two very different heritages of the women that I find most physically beautiful. I admit that I do see similar physical qualities, but than, I can confuse the look of persons from Italy with those from Lebanon. (Don't laugh, but this is a real life example.) Although, I am beginning to be very good at distinguishing Filipino women from other asian women. I can’t do this with the men because I’ve spent much more time with Filipino women (in the Church and in the hospital) than with Filipino men. Although, this is slowly changing.

What surprises me even more is that it would make such a terrible difference to some persons to have someone with an Arab heritage being Miss America. (This has only happened in the minds of some persons that don’t know the difference between Indians and Arabs. It has not actually happened, yet.) I really don’t know what it takes to be a Miss America, it must be more than just physical beauty, otherwise only Indians and Arabs would be winning if I was the judge. It seems you have to be a “Real American.”

What does it mean to be a “Real American”? I guess it means you have to be a citizen of the lands named after Amerigo Vespucci and truly love these lands. Most notable would be the most American city in the world, América, which is in the extremely American country of Argentina. (I think that city is around 450 miles from where the pope used to live before moving to the Vatican.) The next most American community would have to be América in the Mexican State of Tamaulipas. Of course, there are other places farther north that eventually adopted the name derived from Amerigo Vespucci’s, so I guess we could include those as well, especially since I happen to live in one of them: Canada. Canada is the largest American country, but I admit that those smaller states to the south have much more right to the name “America” than those north of the Río Bravo del Norte.

In these vast lands named after the Italian explorer, who was financed by the Portuguese, died in Spain and explored these lands farther south than anyone thought possible (Perhaps he was trying to get around what stopped Christopher Columbus from getting where they really wanted to go: India. With Nina Davuluri now being Miss America, does that mean Columbus and Vespucci finally succeeded? (Is a couple of sentences within a sentence consider a compound run-on sentence? (Perhaps with all these parentheses, I have a nested run-on sentence.))), who would be the most American woman? The only woman that comes to my mind is Our Lady of the Americas (not to be confused with her title Our Lady of America), also, and more commonly, known as Patroness of the Americas. (She's also know as Heavenly Patroness of the Philippines. Guess she's for everyone and not just Americans.) Do you know what her heritage is? Well, she was original from the Land of Israel, but she appeared in America at the Hill of Tepeyac, near Mexico City.

I’ve got a daughter that was born on the anniversary of the date Our Lady of the Americas came to America. This also happens to be the date Our Lady of the Americas’ conception was celebrated before the 8th century. Many in the East still celebrate this date as the anniversary of her conception. Of course, it was Blessed John Duns Scotus that was the first to defend successfully the immaculate nature of her conception. (At the time, everyone knew she was immaculate, they just didn't understand how she was so at the time of her conception.)

She is the mother of all of us, so she must love all of us, which means she must love all Americans. Someone that loves all Americans must really love America. I know that both Amerigo Vespucci and Christopher Columbus loved Our Lady (she didn't have the title "of the Americas" yet), especially since Columbus belonged to one of the Franciscan orders, like Blessed John Duns Scotus and myself. Vespucci may have also been a Franciscan. I really don’t know, but I do know he had strong ties to the Franciscans. So it seems that America was discovered by a Franciscan (he wasn’t the first to discover it, but it was his discovery that lead to the name America), was named after someone that had close ties with the Franciscans (if he wasn’t a Franciscan himself) and the Real Miss America’s Immaculate Conception was first successfully defended by a Franciscan. And, now we have the first American pope who was also the first pope to take his name from St. Francis. I wonder what Miss Davuluri thinks of St. Francis. It seems to be an important thing for “Real Americans.”

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to crawl back under my Rock. It seems a safe place to be since St. Francis is holding up the Lateran Basilica.

Our Lady of the Americas (Our Lady of Guadalupe)