01 June 2014

Visitation Mission

As of today, I’ve got five years to go before Jews would traditionally say I’ve reached the age of wisdom. Last year, I was able to celebrate the Feast of the Visitation on my birthday because it was a Saturday and, the day before, the Carmelite Monastery, where I went for Mass both days, celebrated its 20th anniversary. Today is also an anniversary for another religious community: the Sisters of Life.


On my last birthday before I made the decision to ask to become Catholic, June 1, 1991, the Sisters of Life were founded with eight women joining the order. Thirteen years later, on March 25, 2004, the Sisters of Life were formally established as a religious institute of diocesan right.

This order’s most important work is the Visitation Mission, which serves women experiencing crisis pregnancy and seeks to provide them with both “emotional and practical resources.” A major part of the Visitation Mission is the Co-Workers of Life, who are laity that do much of the practical work that the sisters would not be able to do.

We are in the process of establishing the Co-Workers of Life in the Archdiocese of Edmonton with the hope of eventually bringing the Sisters of Life to Edmonton. Are you being called to be a part of this?

There will be an all day training session for the Co-Workers of Life on October 4, 2014 (the Feast (Solemnity for me) of St. Francis of Assisi) in Edmonton. If you feel called to this work, register for the training.